Summer pool safety tips for children.
There’s nothing more refreshing on a hot summer day than a dip in a cool pool. But there are plenty of potential hazards poolside, so be informed and alert in order to ensure the safety of your children, friends, and family. Check out these essential safety tips for summer swimming.
- Never leave a child unsupervised near a pool, even for a few seconds.
- Even if your children had swimming lessons, they should always be watched carefully while swimming.
- During social gatherings at or near a pool, assign an adult the role of ‘designated watcher’ to protect young children from pool accidents. Adults may take turns being the watcher, but it is when adults become preoccupied, even for a couple of seconds, that children are at risk.
- Fence in the pool and ensure there is a self-closing and self-latching gate.
- Place tables and chairs well away from the pool fence to prevent young children from climbing into the pool area.
- Enforce a strict no running and no diving policy.
- Keep sharp objects, glassware, and alcohol out of the pool area.
- Place emergency numbers and CPR instructions around the pool for easy instructions.
- Ensure your pool’s drain covers are not faulty or missing.
- Keep a first aid kit and scissors near the pool. The scissors can be used to cut hair or clothing out of a drain if a child is stuck.
- Considering signing yourself, spouse, and teenage children up for CPR lessons.
- If a child is missing, check the pool first. Seconds count in preventing death or disability.
Each of our clubs at Boys & Girls Club goes to the pool weekly. Here, valuable skills and life lessons are learned. From safety to skill, each child gets to learn how to swim, stay afloat, and important lessons on water safety. Because we visit the pool weekly, children’s confidence begins to grow over time. They become more familiar with the water and progress their swimming strokes each week. They leave each camp being more capable of preventing accident and injury when near or in the water.
At camp, we understand the importance swimming safety. To get your children involved with a great camp that is ideal for them, contact Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Conejo Valley. We have many programs that encourage outdoor activities, personal development, and fun!